Monday, May 23, 2016

Week 3 Reflection - Term 2 - 2016

Writing

Last week Jan, Virginia and myself got together to collaborate ideas around Writing and plan what we would like to cover over the term. Over the next three weeks the children will be learning to make their stories more interesting by adding detail. They will know they have achieved this if they can add WOW words and use their senses in their stories. Last week we did Leaves as the topic for Writing. The children loved going outside to rake the leaves off the footpath. They were really excited to give lots of ideas for the different senses. I was really impressed by the Writing produced by the children and am looking forward to seeing more progress over the next few weeks when we do the topics, Bubbles and Pop-corn. I began ability groups for Writing this week also. Last year I found my Writing to be really successful working with Writing groups. This year I had began Writing as a whole class due to the many children being out of the classroom in our Writing slot (MST children and Te Tipuranga) but I didn't feel I was covering the needs of the children as well as working with smaller ability groups. The children seem to be loving working in groups for Writing and I felt the Writing produced this week was fantastic. It was easier to really focus on not only the needs of each separate group but individual needs also.

Team Assembly

Woooohoooo!!! It was our time to shine in our team assembly. Not having planned for a team assembly, I was super excited for my children to share some of their learning and to get some of my less confident children up on stage to speak in front of the team and not the whole school. The children who spoke really got a confidence boost and were grinning from ear to ear about getting up on stage. I had set some challenging expectations for some children and they made me so proud! Jabez and Shamony shared their full Mihi and it was great to share some things that the children have been doing in class on a powerpoint. Team assembly is a fantastic opportunity for children to present/share their work in front of children, parents and teachers. 

Powerpoint:


PB4L

I had a wonderful experience going to Linwood North School to do their set with Glenys. It was a great learning opportunity and I came away with many ideas to promote positive behaviour for learning in my classroom. At Linwood they mentioned they teach a PB4L lesson each morning from 9 - 9.30am. They have displays visible for all children to see what their PB4L focus is for the week and every child has a great understanding about what PB4L is and the rewards they can gain from demonstrating what is expected of them. This week (Monday WK4 T2) I taught a following instructions PB4L lesson and I'm going to try teaching/re-teaching/revising expectations etc over the week as well as making sure I have a new PB4L focus each week. As Sandra (Principal - Linwood North) mentioned, Positive Behaviour for Learning is needed before anything, whether that is Mathematics, Reading etc. They have really strong systems in place for each teacher to follow and is used effectively throughout their whole school. 


No comments:

Post a Comment