Thursday, April 6, 2017

Delving Deeper 2 - Rich Mathematical Classrooms PD


Nicky from Papanui Primary School shared with us some useful links, websites and books to explore and try out in our classroom. Since exploring some of these tonight I believe I can use some of her links etc with my children.

To use picture books with mathematical content can be an effective way to engage students and explore problems within entertaining contexts. Below is a link to each strand in Maths as well as the levels with different picture books to suit.

https://nzmaths.co.nz/picture-books-mathematical-content

Nicky mentioned Jo Boaler and her website www.youcubed.org and that we must sign up as it's a brilliant website for current research, tasks, resources and videos. Since having signed up tonight I have explored the website a little and already I have found rich mathematical tasks to try out with my groups. I will most likely try some of these rich mathematical tasks firstly with my most capable math's group.


Nicky also mentioned using Talk Moves in the classroom. This sparked a reminder to give these ago again with my YR1 class like I did with my YR3 students last year after Sophia's presentation about these. I used the posters to remind me of using these each math's lesson last year (Sophia made for all staff). I need to hunt these out!

Leaving this session with Nicky today, what I took away from this which has stuck with me is providing challenging tasks is great and that it is important not to rescue the students when they are struggling as the challenge is what our students need. 

To always be creative - to use lots of materials, use equipment, whiteboards, get the students drawing and to use lots of visuals. The use of using all these things often gives opportunities for children to show their ideas and communicate these back to the group. 



1 comment:

  1. Loving looking at the picture books that have a maths focus and lead on to creating rich maths tasks. I am sure there are a box of maths picture books sitting in Room 1 that might be worth having a look at. There has also been a lot of chatter on the NZ teachers page about Talk Moves and Deep learning tasks. Can't wait to come in and see this in your class.

    ReplyDelete