Friday, September 25, 2015

Splat - Compound words

I have been doing a lot of thinking around my writing programme the last few weeks in preparation for term 4. Having new, creative and enjoyable activities I feel will get the children excited for their writing lessons. The hot spot game "Splat" was a favourite of mine that Katy (associate teacher) used when I was on placement at Addington School. She used this activity at the start of some of her math's lessons. I introduced this activity last week to practice our doubles at the start or end of a maths lesson, but I thought why not try it in my writing planning. I had printed out cupcakes which were cut down the middle, for example, one half being tooth and the other half being paste. I had put all of one side of the cupcakes on the board and would read out the other half. Children then had to place the fly swat over the first part of the compound word. What a hit! The children loved it! We had a big talk about not being the winner and that it's a fun game and it's o.k not to win. We also talked about nice comments we can say to one another. This definitely made the activity run smoothly. I feel this was a great way to introduce the compound cupcakes. I will be putting them in one of my writing group's activity baskets next term. They will be expected to match all the different cupcakes. We only used a few for our game but I'm sure children will like matching them up. I also thought another way the children could use them when having their group activity rotation would be to play the game memory with them. They turn them all over and have to get matching pairs. The child with the most matching pairs at the end is the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment