Monday, October 30, 2017

IMMERSION - TEACH LIKE A PIRATE!

Are you a lifeguard (more focus) or a swimmer (total immersion)?

I think I mainly sway towards being a swimmer. Yes I may have the odd lesson where I stand back but most of the time I'm immersed in the learning with the children.

Interesting in this section...."Student's can feel it when you are truely present".

I wonder if the kids have noticed I haven't been truely present this week....having nits, I have to say my paranoid mind has been in action and it's constantly been on my mind. I'm pleased to say I had my hair checked today and she confirmed that they were all gone :)

This also made me think of the Bin it, Bag it, and Bring it approach that Donna and Glenys introduced us too. 

What are 2 things you can do in your classroom to make the swap from focus to immersion?
Testing - this is a time where I'm not immersed in the tasks set for the children. Where possible I try to complete my testing in my extra value added time / CRT etc.
Independent group tasks i.e maths / reading - Join in on an activity after taking a group / have a slot where I join in with the children on their independent activities.

"Total immersion. Your ability to completely give yourself up to the moment and fully "be" with your students is an awesome and unmistakably powerful technique".

2 comments:

  1. Yes it is very interesting statement "Student's can feel it when you are truely present". It is amazing how intuitive children are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joining in is fun - i hope as we move towards different types of collaboration the value of joining in is recognised and systems set up to allow it to happen.

    ReplyDelete